Wednesday, June 16, 2010

TWILGHT'S LAST GLEAMING FREEMEN & DREAMERS Volume 2 by L.C. LEWIS

From the back of the book:
While cannons roar and rockets ignite American skies, disease ravages the upper Connecticut Valley. Few notice the sufferings of the families . . . of a single child . . . a remarkable lad named Joseph. Attentions are forced elsewhere on the Chesapeake, which guards the entrance to the infant nation's threatened capital.

It is the height of the War of 1812. As the beleaguered American forces begin to rally, Britain's military is divided between battlefronts on two continents. Until Napoleon can be toppled and all of the Crown's resources can be diverted to the American campaign, Britain needs a tactical diversion. They attack the Chesapeake Bay!
Lieutenant Jed Pearson heads to war, leaving his beloved Willows estate in the care of powerless freed slaves. But soon circumstances will blur the line between adversary and friend, family and foe, British and American.
In this second volume of the epic historical series Free Men and Dreamers, witness the saga of five families caught in the tumult of the oft-forgotten war that cemented American liberty and set the stage for the great work of the Restoration.
Part 2 of the Freemen and Dreamers series was even better than part 1. It made my commute shorter, a thing for which  normally don't complain, but I always wanted just a few more minutes.
I love history so the details of what was going on in the background to fuel the war had me hooked by the 1st volume.
I found myself rooting for Jeb & Hannah, even though their relationship seemed to be cursed for most of the book.
I was also glad to see Joseph Smith's family as part of this book. It would somehow seem wrong to send Hannah and her sister into the middle of a typhoid epidemic and not include the Smiths.
I ordered Volume 3 Dawn's Early Light tonight. I'm disappointed to find that it is not on CD, but I'm looking forward to continuing the story.
I would recommend this book to anyone who likes history and romance. Laurie Lewis' books are available at Deseret Book, Seagull Book, amazon.com and inter library loan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No doubt, we will yet have Miltons and Shakespeares of our own. But such literary greatness will be achieved only by great souls. Our religion is capable of cultivating those great souls; and it shall.

DISCLAIMER

DISCLAIMER: I do not receive any money for my posts. I do however occasionally receive the review products at no charge to evaluate and express my opinion.

My Blog List